- Think Scale Size matters in interior design. Too often people choose things like rugs, lamps, and artwork that are simply too small for a room.
- Create Symmetry Creating balance in a room can be a bit intuitive. You may not always be able to articulate why it feels right, but if you create symmetry, you won’t go wrong.
- Add Texture and Color Mix materials whenever possible, and add touches of color that echo a larger element in a room, such as pillows in the same color as the drapes.
- Provide Contrast This often refers to color, but you can create contrast with texture or shape, too. For example, a room with lots of edges can be softened by a round rug.
- Edit. Edit. Edit. Kathy’s rule of thumb: before you walk out of a room for the last time, turn around and study it—and then take one piece out!
May 22, 2017
Kathy Vigoda has been designing chic spaces for satisfied Ethan Allen clients for six years—but she’s been perfecting her styling skills for more than thirty! Kathy, who works out of our Design Center in Hartsdale, New York, is our latest Design Star! No matter the scale or budget, her projects have a distinctly finished, magazine-worthy look. “I love it any time I can complete a room with all the bells and whistles,” she says. Kathy recently shared with us five design principles that guide her every step of the way toward the “big reveal.”