Summer is officially over. It’s time to close the pool, rake the leaves, plant the bulbs … but whatever you do, don’t call off the outdoor entertaining—not yet.
Even if you live in a region with four distinct seasons, there’s still time to get out and grill, chill, sip, and nosh, while hosting friends and family in style. Fall entertaining is all about creating a cozy vibe. Bring on the harvest hues and amp up the creature comforts. Swap the beach towels for toasty blankets and throws. Let there be light: Bring out the candles and lanterns, and build a fire. Think hot cocoa instead of cold brews.
And because you never know when a chill will chase the party indoors, remember to eat dessert first—especially s’mores, everyone’s fireside favorite. Our colleague Marta Eriquez was kind enough to share her recipe for indoor s’mores with a deliciously gooey twist. The best part: You can make them all year long (no fire or charred marshmallows required).
MARTA’S S’MORES BARK
- 24 oz. dark chocolate, melted
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 3 full sheets of graham crackers, crumbled
- Line a 9″ x 12″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Melt half the chocolate in the microwave and use a silicone spatula or the back of a wooden spoon to spread it on the baking sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Crumble the graham crackers and set aside.
- Heat the marshmallow fluff in the microwave. Quickly spread a marshmallow layer over the hardened chocolate.
- Press graham cracker crumbs into the marshmallow layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate and very gently spread it over the graham cracker layer. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Break into pieces and serve.
Bark can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator—if you have any left over!